Job Title: Bank Residential childcare worker
Salary: £10.75 per hour
Location: Underley Garden School, Kirkby Lonsdale.
Hours: Bank Position Days or Nights
If you really want to make your mark in a rapidly growing business that is committed to improving the lives of children and young people, we have the role for you!
We’re looking for a Residential Childcare worker to join our team at Underley based in Kirkby Lonsdale. Someone who is motivated by helping others, patient and resilient would be perfect for this role.
About the school
Underley Garden School is an Ofsted Outstanding special Educational and Residential children’s home. We care for a range of children and young adults with complex needs. This could include behavioural, learning and mental health challenges.
We want people who focus on the positive outcome of our children and take responsibility for helping improve the lives of our young people. We share the value of creating a safe and nurturing home and we want people who can be fair and respectful, in order to do the right thing to support everyone in our care.
About the Group
We are part of Acorn Care and Education and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Acorn Care and Education provide education and care across 20 schools and 19 residential care homes nationally. Our vision is to build incredible futures by empowering vulnerable young people in the UK to be happy and to make their way in the world. Every day we improve the lives of thousands of young people, their families and communities through a relentless focus on caring and learning.
About the Role
Do you want a rewarding Career? To make a positive difference to young people and their lives? Are you patient, empathetic, resilient and supportive? Yes? - We want you!
From day one, we will train and support you, ultimately developing you into a care professional.
During your working hours you will be working with the children within their day to day lives; Cook with them, play games and do activities, help them within their day and night routines and assist with any problems or personal care needs the young people may have. A key responsibility is to Safeguard all who are in our care and ensure they are safe and healthy.
Other duties include liaising with other staff, working to agreed care plans and keeping the home clean and tidy.
On occasion you may be verbally or physically challenged by one of the young people in your care. You must be willing to deescalate challenging situations and put in place pro-active strategies to avoid similar situations in future. You will be fully trained via ‘Team Teach’ before you are expected to do this.
Who we need
This role doesn’t require any experience, just an individual who is friendly, compassionate, resilient, and calm under pressure and who has the desire to learn and work with special educational needs.
In return we will provide you with full training, including Team Teach.
- Provide a safe, caring and healthy environment where children can thrive and develop independence
- promote and celebrate diversity
- Safeguard all young people and support them with their individual and personal needs
- Integrate into the supportive team
- To record a log, details of incidents etc., as required by procedure
Please see the Job description for further responsibilities.
- You must be willing to partake in physical intervention training and utilize this training, if needs must.
- You must be able to get to the site for shifts with ease. A driving licence may be useful due to the remote location.
Why work for us?
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a supportive and dedicated team
- Continuous professional development and training
- Internal Promotion
- Staff meals
- Use of a Windermere campsite
- Team building
- Employee of the month
- Free Gym membership
- “Your Wellbeing Matters” – The ability to speak to a councillor for support regarding your mental health.
- Employee Rewards Hub – An app which offers high-street discounts, hints and tips.
Acorn Care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS. We expect all our employees and volunteers to share this commitment and strive to achieve the best possible outcomes for everybody in our care. A full application form must be completed with all employment dates accurate and gaps in employment accounted for.