Senior Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL)
Location: Acorn Park School, Norwich, Norfolk.
Salary: Up to £30,000 dependent on experience
Hours: 8.30am – 4.30pm, Monday to Friday
Contract: Full-time & permanent
About the school
Acorn Park is a Special Educational Needs (SEN) School and Residential home within the Acorn Care and Education and NFA Group, the UK’s Largest, Independent Children’s services group. The School specialises in communication and learning challenges associated with Autism.
The School and Homes are within a private, 30 acre estate situated within Norfolk’s picturesque and tranquil countryside, close to the town of Banham.
The aim of the site is to provide enough support to unlock each child’s potential so they can live fulfilling and productive lives. We provide the young people with as much freedom as possible in a safe and supervised environment. This is achievable due to the dedication and support from a range of employed professionals who are passionate, reliable and understanding.
About the Group
We are part of Acorn Education and Care and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Acorn Education and Care provide Education and Care across 20 schools and 19 residential care homes nationally. Our vision is to build incredible futures by empowering vulnerable young people in the UK to be happy and to make their way in the world. Every day we improve the lives of thousands of young people, their families and communities through a relentless focus on caring and learning.
About the Role
As part of our continued growth, we now have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Senior DSL to join our close-knit team.
The DSL will take lead responsibility for safeguarding and child protection across the school and residential sites. They will take part in strategy discussions and inter-agency meetings, and contribute to the assessment of children.
They will advise and support other members of staff on child welfare and child protection matters, and liaise with relevant agencies such as the local authority and police.
To have overall responsibility for the welfare and safety of the students.
Work with the Senior Management Team to ensure:
- All staff are supported in knowing how to recognise and respond to potential concerns.
- Keep them informed of any safeguarding of issues especially ongoing enquiries and police investigations
Liaise with the Senior Management Team to as required, liaise with the necessary authority/party if a concern has arisen regarding a member of staff
Liaise with staff on matters of safety and safeguarding and when deciding whether to make a referral by liaising with relevant agencies
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a DSL who has a commitment to ensuring the safety and welfare of children, will act with integrity, honesty, loyalty and fairness to safeguard the assets, financial integrity and reputation of the school. Who has the ability to work under pressure and prioritise effectively and maintain confidentiality at all times.
Whilst previous experience of working in an SEN environment would be desirable, excellent skills and the right motivation, personal qualities and levels of resilience are just as important.
- Must be educated to degree level
- Ability to use ICT
- Experience of managing safeguarding in a school or other relevant organisation
- Demonstrable evidence of developing and implementing strategies to help children and their families
- Expert knowledge of legislation and guidance on safeguarding and working with young people, including knowledge of the responsibilities of schools and other agencies
- Ability to work with a range of people with the aim of ensuring the safety and welfare of children
- Excellent record keeping skills and attention to detail, in order to produce reports, take minutes of meetings, and document safeguarding concerns
Why work for us?
A few reasons we think it’s a great place to work:
- Continuous professional development & training for a clear career path
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a fantastic team who work hard together and support each other
- No two days are ever the same
Acorn Care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to an Enhanced DBS Check.
Applications are invited online though the Acorn Care and Education website www.acorncare.co.uk. If you have any further questions regarding how to apply or to arrange a visit please contact Katrina Carmen on Katrina.Carman@acornparkschool.co.uk
The Outcomes First Group are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS and necessary checks.
We expect all our employees and volunteers to share this commitment and strive to achieve the best outcome possible for everybody in our care. A full application form must be completed with all employment dates accurate and gaps in employment accounted fo.