Driver and Maintenance Person
Location: Meadowcroft School, The Works, Wakefield.
Salary: Up to £19,271 dependent on experience
Hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm, Monday to Friday
About the School:
Meadowcroft is an independent specialist day school for boys and girls aged from 5 to 19, catering for children with a wide range of needs in 3 sites across Wakefield. Our dedicated team work together to ensure successful outcomes for pupils who often arrive at the school with a troubled view of education and life.
We pride ourselves in steering children in the right direction, nurturing aspiration to progress them both academically and socially to encourage them to take pride in their achievements. Socially, we build conﬁdence in our students so they are able to have a greater understanding of the wider community in which they live.
We have a team of fantastic multi-disciplinary specialists who work closely together to ﬁnd creative tailored solutions to support the emotional development to make a positive life changing difference to our students.
About the Group:
We are part of the Acorn Care and Education Group and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Acorn Care and Education provide education and care across 20 schools and 19 residential care homes nationally. Our vision is to build incredible futures by empowering vulnerable young people in the UK to be happy and to make their way in the world. Every day we improve the lives of thousands of young people, their families and communities through a relentless focus on caring and learning.
About the Role:
We are looking for a maintenance worker for general housekeeping across out three school sites in Wakefield. You will have experience of basic maintenance and repair work including painting, decorating and gardening. You will be able to drive in order to transport lunches daily between the sites and you will occasionally pick up and drop of students and parents. It is important you are comfortable working in a special educational needs environment.
- To respond effectively to all urgent maintenance and repair tasks as they arise.
- To undertake general repairs and maintenance around the site, inside and out, including plastering, basic joinery, decorating, repairs on furnishings and buildings, including woodwork, and gardening etc. to ensure a safe and well cared for environment is maintained.
- Part time driving responsibilities may include occasionally picking up and dropping off children and parents.
- Maintain security of the site i.e. opening and closing of the premises in line with agreed opening and closing procedures. Liaise with the alarm company as and when required.
- Be a key member of emergency and fire marshal group undertaking training as and when necessary.
- Undertake regular periodic checks including asbestos visual check, weekly fire alarm call point tests, water temperature tests, first aid box checks, ,emergency lighting tests, fire door checks, operation of fire exits, fire extinguisher tests, ladder checks, equipment condition checks.
- To ensure that all equipment and materials are used in accordance with Health & Safety guidelines.
- To ensure that company tools and equipment are kept in good order and propose solutions to repair any faulty tools or equipment to the appropriate manager.
- To provide transport duties including mini bus runs as required by Meadowcroft School.
- Perform basic maintenance on the school vehicles.
Essential Skills and Competencies
- A full clean driving licence.
- Experience of basic housekeeping, repair work and upkeep of a large site.
- Ability to use basic tools and power tools.
- Ability to work under own initiative on occasion.
- Understanding of the challenges of working in a special educational needs environment.
This position is due to commence as soon as possible (subject to approved reference/DBS checks).
For an informal chat please contact Ann Cleasby on 01924 368257, applications are invited online through our website https://www.outcomesfirstgroup.co.uk/vacancies/
Acorn Care and Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people in our care. Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check