School Kitchen Assistant
Location: Falkland House School, Falkland Estate, Falkland
Salary: Up to £12,699 dependent on experience
Hours: 30 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Contract: Permanent, Term time only
If you really want to make your mark in a rapidly growing business that is committed to improving the lives of children and young people, we have the role for you!
The successful applicant will demonstrate a passion for food and be creative, forward thinking and keen to assert their style. The school operates a term-time only kitchen which caters for pupils and staff on a daily basis with a variety of dietary requirements. The candidate must be someone who will work as part of a team to perform a variety of regular and one-off cleaning tasks and duties as directed by their line manager, ensuring that H&S standards are met in the kitchen.
About the School:
Falkland House School is an in independent residential school for boys from primary to aged 18 years. Our pupils have a range of Additional Support Needs including emotional and behavioural difficulties and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. We were the first independent school in Scotland (outside of the NAS) to receive accreditation from the National Autistic Society.
About the Group:
We are part of Acorn Care and Education and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
We provide Education and Care across a number of schools and residential homes nationally. Our specialist SEN provision, coupled with our expertise within residential care means we offer thousands of vulnerable children and young people across the UK a holistic, wraparound care, residential and education service, empowering them with everything they need to flourish. It is by no accident that 94% of our homes are rated as Outstanding or Good.
We welcome staff who share our commitment to help children experience better days and better lives. Through ongoing development and training, we ensure our staff are well prepared for their jobs and given every opportunity to extend their skills.
Acorn Care and Education is part of the Outcomes First Group.
About the Role:
Shift pattern for Kitchen Assistant role will mean working either a breakfast shit or dinner shift, these are:
Monday – Thursday
Breakfast Shift 7.30am – 1.30pm / Dinner Shift 12noon – 6.00pm
Breakfast Shift 7.30am – 1.30pm / Dinner Shift 9.00am – 3.00pm
- Plan and prepare as a team of kitchen staff in the preparation, cooking and serving of school meals, whilst at the same time meeting the highest standards of hygiene and cater to a variety of dietary requirements.
- Ensure Health and Safety and food hygiene procedures are adhered to at all times and that defects to equipment and premises are reported appropriately to maintain a safe working environment.
- Cleaning the food preparation equipment, floors and other kitchen tools or areas.
- Carry out regular checks of kitchen equipment e.g., mixers, fryer, utensils, work surfaces in accordance with specified procedures to ensure all equipment is hygienic and safe working order and complies with relevant regulations. Notify Maintenance if equipment is not working or is faulty.
- Liaise with outside agencies i.e., Environmental Health Officers and suppliers to ensure high standards of food hygiene and quality of supplies are maintained.
- Ensure the security of the kitchen and storerooms is maintained at all times to provide a safe working environment.
- Comply with Health and Safety, Fire Regulations and other policies.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety Regulations related to working in a kitchen.
- Experience in preparing and cooking meals in a kitchen
- Carrying out cleaning tasks as required
- Willingness to take personal responsibility for standard of work carried out.
- Willingness to participate in further training and development opportunities offered by the school, to further knowledge
- Willingness to maintain confidentiality on all school matters
- Will need to be able to manage some heavy lifting
- Ability to work effectively and supportively as a member of the school team
- Ability to work in an organised and methodical manner
- Ability to act on own initiative, dealing with any unexpected problems that arise
Why work for us?
- Social activities
- "Your Wellbeing Matters"
- Employee Rewards Hub
- Free School meals on site
- No two days are ever the same
- Be part of a fantastic team who work hard together and support each other
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Continuous professional development and training for a clear career path
Applications are invited online though the Acorn Care and Education website www.acorncare.co.uk. If you have any further questions regarding how to apply please contact Catherine Crawford – email@example.com
Acorn care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS.
We expect all our employees and volunteers to share this commitment and strive to achieve the best outcome possible for everybody in our care. A full application form must be completed with all employment dates accurate and gaps in employment accounted