Learning Support Assistant
Location: The Wenlock School
Salary: £16,000 - £18,000 dependent on experience
Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday
We are looking for a Learning Support Assistant to help develop a new independent special educational needs day school for 90 young people aged 7-18. You will support our teachers to deliver the curriculum and help nurture a therapeutic environment to meet a range of needs including social, emotional, behavioural, communication and learning difficulties. Your new school will be outstanding and a leading light for our young people and their families.
About the role:
We require an inspirational Learning Support Assistant, with relevant qualifications and experience, to support access to learning, on a 1:1 basis, for a pupil with particularly complex learning and behavioural needs. To also provide general support to the class teacher and other education staff in the management of all pupils and the learning environment. Safeguarding the welfare of the young people in our care will be your primary responsibility.
About the group:
We are part of Acorn Care and Education and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
Acorn Care and Education provide education and care across 20 schools and 19 residential care homes nationally. Our vision is to build incredible futures by empowering vulnerable young people in the UK to be happy and to make their way in the world. Every day we improve the lives of thousands of young people, their families and communities through a relentless focus on caring and learning.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an individual with high expectations and standards who can offer excellent behavioural management skills. You will be working with young people who have complex needs and your ability to develop trusting relationships with the young people and staff will be crucial. You will be able to reliably work to instruction as well as take the initiative when circumstances demand. An interest in teaching and a desire to improve these pupil’s lives is essential.
The ability to contribute to the development of our ‘Outstanding’ school is essential and we believe that energy, passion and a commitment to high standards are key characteristics required. We are looking for a special individual who is able to help inspire and re-engage the young people that we serve. This is an opportunity for the successful candidate to develop their skills and experience in a challenging, motivating and highly rewarding environment.
Although not definitive, the following list outlines the key tasks:
- Helping pupil(s) who are underperforming in their subjects on a 1:1 basis inside and outside the classroom;
- Implementing strategies and supporting pupil(s) in self-esteem and confidence-building activities;
- Listening to and helping pupil(s) resolve a range of issues that are creating barriers to learning;
- Working closely with parents/carers and visiting parents/carers at home to discuss issues and problems;
- Supporting carers on behaviour strategies and parenting skills;
- Organising and running extracurricular activities, such as sports, music and other appropriate activities during lunchtimes or as out-of-school activities;
Why work for us?
A few reasons we think it’s a great place to work:
- Continuous professional development & training for a clear career path
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a fantastic team who work hard together and support each other
- No two days are ever the same
- “Your Wellbeing Matters”
- Employee Rewards Hub
This position is due to commence as soon as possible (subject to approved reference/DBS checks). Applications are invited online through the Acorn Care and Education website www.acorncare.co.uk. If you have any further queries regarding how to apply please contact our Admin Team on 01384 884883 or email us on email@example.com
Acorn Care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to an Enhanced DBS Check.