Pupil Support Worker
Salary: £16,377.15 - £17,339.66 pa
Location: Bramfield, Halesworth, Suffolk
Hours: 40 hours per week / term time only
Do you want to start a rewarding Career? To make a positive difference to young people and their lives? Are you patient, empathetic, resilient and supportive? Yes? - then we want you!
We now have a fantastic opportunity for a Pupil Support Worker to join our close-knit team at Bramfield House School.
About the School
Located in rural Suffolk, Bramfield House School is an independent residential special educational needs school for boys aged 7 – 16 years who have social, emotional, mental health, communication difficulties and associated challenging behaviours.
The School has a committed and innovative multidisciplinary team, extensive site and excellent facilities to support both learning and extra-curricular activities; we are in a great position to provide our pupils with the best education and care possible. We need highly-motivated and enthusiastic individuals who want to make a real difference.
Our dedicated team work together to ensure successful outcomes for pupils who often arrive at the school with a troubled view of education and life. We pride ourselves in steering children in the right direction, nurturing aspiration to progress them both academically and socially to encourage them to take pride in their achievements. Socially, we build conﬁdence in our students so they are able to have a greater understanding of the wider community in which they live.
About the Group
We are part of Acorn Care and Education and can promise you plenty of challenges, and a rich variety of opportunities to develop your career.
We provide Education and Care across a number of schools and residential homes nationally. Our specialist SEN provision, coupled with our expertise within residential care means we offer thousands of vulnerable children and young people across the UK a holistic, wraparound care, residential and education service, empowering them with everything they need to flourish. It is by no accident that 94% of our homes are rated as Outstanding or Good.
We welcome staff who share our commitment to help children experience better days and better lives. Through ongoing development and training, we ensure our staff are well prepared for their jobs and given every opportunity to extend their skills.
Acorn Care and Education is part of the Outcomes First Group.
About the Role
Don’t worry about having much experience, we will train, support and promote you, to ensure you have an amazing career. All you need is the drive to make a difference and a focus on the positive outcomes for our children.
We want the young people to retain as much responsibility over their lives as possible and develop over time. Therefore, you will spend your time assisting the young people with everyday activities, such as getting ready for school, homework, cooking, playing and going on outings. We create safe and nurturing environments for our children and young people and you will support us in ensuring the physical, emotional and personal care needs of the children are met.
This role however, does come with some potential challenges such as long hours, behaviour management and ensuring the personal care of each young person is upheld.
Please see the Job Description and Person Specification for full details regarding this position.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for people with the belief that they can make positive changes.
You will be a responsible, friendly and thoughtful individual who has a passion for caring for and ultimately, making a difference to young lives. You will ideally understand some of the challenges that you could be faced with as it will be a challenging yet rewarding role.
We need someone who can be a role model, work well within a team, has great communication skills, can manage their workload and be prepared for the varying difficulties the role may present.
Purpose of the Job
- To work under the instruction/guidance of the Team Leader to deliver high quality residential care for emotionally vulnerable young people boarding at Bramfield House School.
- Organisation of structured activities, on and off site, and undertake those activities with the young people.
- Support and direct pupils in domestic routines e.g. personal hygiene, meal times bedtime routines.
- To supervise the morning routines of residential pupils prior to class time and greet day pupils to the school.
- To work under the instruction/guidance of the Team Leader to undertake support programmes to enable access to learning for pupils and assist in the behaviour management of pupils. Work may be carried out in the classroom or outside the main teaching area.
- To practice with a high degree of competence, with the aim of reducing barriers to education and social interaction, leading to all pupils achieving their potential.
- To take a leading role as a Key Worker for the young people assigned to you and be a point of contact for them and their families.
- You must meet the criteria as set out in the Person Specification
- You must be available to work the shifts required
- You must have a level of fitness which will allow you to handle certain challenges you may face with the young people
- You must have the desire to complete a funded Level 3 Diploma for Residential Childcare
- You must understand some of the difficulties that children on the Autistic Spectrum may present
Why work for us?
A few reasons we think it’s a great place to work:
- Continuous professional development & training for a clear career path
- Opportunity to enrich the lives of young people and make a positive difference
- Be part of a fantastic team who work hard together and support each other
- No two days are ever the same
- Free School Meals whilst on shift
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- “Your Wellbeing Matters”
- Employee Rewards Hub
This position is due to commence as soon as possible (subject to approved references/DBS check).
Applications are invited online through the Acorn Care and Education website: www.acorncare.co.uk.
If you have any further queries regarding how to apply please contact Adam Richardson, Principal Team Leader on 01986 784235.
Acorn Care and Education are committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS.